I have been squirreled away in my studio making flowers for a project I’ll show you all next week, but I thought I’d show you how I made them. I don’t usually post on Saturdays because I reserve that time for my husband and family; however, Jim’s working and I have no other obligations, so I thought I’d send a bonus post to those of you who check in on the weekends.
I’ve been making these.
Here’s how I made them:
I started with the flower cut on A Child’s Year, and made several sizes. then I collected my supplies
I inked the edges and although I don’t show it here, I used two different colors ink, orange and yellow on both sides of the flower because the tips will be curled up except for the bottom flower.
I used a wooden pick to curl the petal down and up on the rest of the layers. I also folded the flowers down for the first couple of rows and then left some as they were and then up on the last couple of rows.
After the bottom two rows were clued together, I added pop dots before I added the next row.
I used pop dots a couple more times to lift the center of the flower up. Just before I added the last flower layer, I ran a length of about 15 inches of floral wire through the flower, so that it could be used in a way I am not going to share right now.
I wanted to add some texture to the flower and I had the bright idea to use a brown pom pom. The only problem was I didn’t have any brown pom poms. Then I thought, “Why not dye them!” Actually I think they turned out better this way because they have a depth of color they wouldn’t have otherwise.
Now I can’t wait to show you how I am using them.