Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Back to Blogging

It's Wednesday and I've decided to come back to blogging.  I've wanted to for a while and really my lack of blogging was a sort of self enforced ban, so here I am!  No big earth shattering announcement and I doubt anyone will notice, but still, I am back.

I've decided that on Wednesdays I will share something from the world of books.  Books have always been something I love.  I read to live and I live to read.  Who said that?

For a while I've been enjoying Flavia de Luce, an eleven year old sleuth who happens to be a chemistry prodigy and lives in a moldering British estate with her father and two sisters.  I know this may sound as though this series is for the juvenile, or young adult readers, but that is not so.  Alan Bradley has written her as a delightful, energetic detective and narrator, who is still a child and naive in the most enduring ways, and manages to pull the adult reader in with good story lines.

The father is absorbed in his stamp collecting and grieving the loss of his wife and Flavia's mother, who   was an adventurous soul with a real zest for living.  Her death has left some huge holes in her family's lives.  This is especially true for Flavia who has no real memories of her mother.  The whole family is a study in disfunction and Flavia and her sister live to torture each other.

There are 5 books so far beginning with  The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

9780440338468_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG.jpg


Next is The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag

9780440339175_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG.jpg


A Red Herring without Mustard

9780440339861_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG.jpg


I Am Half-Sick of Shadows

9780345532152_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG.jpg


and finally my present read: Speaking from among the Bones

9780345538680_p0_v2_s260x420.JPG.jpg


If you decide to read this series, I hope you'll find them as enjoyable as I do.

No comments: